Texas Governor Greg Abbott declared that migrants coming into Texas through the U.S.-Mexico border is a form of invasion.
Gov. Greg Abbott Released Statement About Migrants
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has long been sending buses filled with migrants who are coming from the U.S.-Mexico borders to different cities. Recently, he sent buses to Chicago, Washington, and Philadelphia to ensure that asylum-seekers will be in cities that have shelters for migrants.
Gov. Greg Abbott considered the increase of migrants as one of the biggest problems in the country and he also criticized Pres. Joe Biden and his administration for not addressing this. This is the reason why he sent the migrants to different cities.
He said that he “fully authorize Texas to take unprecedented measures to defend our state against an invasion,” He also invoked the Invasion Clauses of the U.S. and Texas Constitutions and declared the migrants coming into the borders as a form of invasion.
Steps that Gov. Greg Abbott Will Take
In a published article in CBS19, the following are the steps that Gov. Greg Abbott will take:
- Deploy the National Guard to safeguard the border, and to repel and turn back immigrants trying to cross the border illegally
- Deploy the Texas Dept. of Public Safety (DPS) to arrest and return immigrants to the border who crossed illegally, and to arrest illegal immigrants for criminal activity;
- Build a wall in multiple counties on the border;
- Deploy gun boats;
- Designate Mexican drug cartels as foreign terrorist organizations;
- Enter into a compact with other states to secure the border;
- Enter into agreements with foreign powers to enhance border security;
- Provide resources for border counties to increase their efforts to respond to the “border invasion.”
He also said in July 2022 through an executive order to “apprehend illegal immigrants who illegally cross the border between ports of entry and return them to the border.”