The family of a 19-month-old child who allegedly ingested fentanyl while living at an Airbnb in Florida has filed a lawsuit against the firm, the home’s owner, the rental’s manager, and a renter who held a party in the Wellington, Florida, apartment two weeks before the child’s death.
Enora Lavenir passed away on August 7, 2021, when her family was visiting from France and residing at a rental in Wellington, Florida, according to a wrongful death complaint filed by the family in Palm Beach County Court.
The Palm Beach County Medical Examiner’s Office determined that the toddler’s death was unintentional and caused by acute fentanyl intoxication.
NBC News said that while fentanyl is a potent synthetic opioid 50 to 100 times stronger than morphine, it’s unclear how the infant swallowed it or where it originated.
Despite the unit’s description of Airbnb in Florida as a “peaceful place to stay,” the complaint claims it had previously been a party house. The lawsuit pointed out that a party was thrown a few days before the French family arrived when narcotics were used.
According to the lawsuit, Enora was exposed to fentanyl residue left in the rental. It holds the owner of the rental, the property manager, and a previous visitor at the AirBnB in Florida accountable for carelessness that led to the child’s death.
No criminal charges have been filed, and authorities were unable to locate any indication that the substance was present in the vacation home, according to a recent Washington Post report.
Family Sues Property Owner, Airbnb in Florida: How The Child Died
Enora’s mother Lydie discovered her dead in the house in August 2021. The family remembered her face was blue, and white foam was flowing from her lips.
A deadly dose of fentanyl was ultimately determined to be the cause of the child’s death by a Palm Beach County medical examiner and an independent toxicology analysis, according to People.
Reports also mentioned that investigators could not uncover any narcotics among Enora’s family’s possessions, and both parents tested negative. It is unclear how the child obtained the medication.
According to reports, a former tenant who rented the AirBnB in Florida through the website Vrbo informed detectives that they held a party that included cocaine. Still, the drugs were unrelated to the child.